6 large chicken thighs (about 2-1/2 lbs)
2 T salad oil, salt
3 medium-size celery stalks, sliced-l inch thick
3 med.-size carrots, sliced l/4 in thick
l large onion, chopped
l/4 t black pepper
l garlic clove mashed with garlic press or finely minced
l 6-oz homemade stewed SCD tomatoes
l 6-oz Dried White Navy Beans, soaked over night in water, drained, and rinsed. (Use after three months and start with small amounts and see if you are symptom free before eating only once a week if you are okay. See, http://uclbs.org/tidbits/beans/
l/4 cup chopped fresh basil or l l/2 t dried basil leaves.
1. About l hr before serving: Remove skin and fat from chicken thighs. In 8-quart Dutch oven over medium high heat, in hot salad oil cook chicken thighs l/4 t salt until chicken is golden brown on all sides, removing chicken thighs to plate as they brown.
2. In drippings, in Dutch oven, cook celery, carrots, onion, pepper, and teas. of salt, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender-crisp and golden brown. Stir in garlic, cook, stirring l min.
3. Add tomatoes, using spoon to break up tomatoes. Return chicken thighs to Dutch oven; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 25 min. or until chicken is tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife.
4. Remove chicken thighs to platter. Into vegetable mixture in Dutch oven, stir Great Northern White Beans and chopped basil; heat through.
5. To serve, spoon white-bean and tomato ragout around chicken thighs on platter.
Makes 6 servings.