Definitions and Other Info:
diet to build muscle mass.
In the past 200 hundred years, the U.S. average consumption of dietary sugars per capita went from under 10 pounds to over 140 pounds a year.
For Thought: Bacteria and other pathogens thrive on sugars. Is it possible that a diet high in sugar sets the stage for chronic infections?
Are these chronic infections the root of many disease? Please read the New
Germ Theory and then decide.
- A carbohydrate is chemically defined as an organic molecule having the following empirical formula:
- Carbohydrates are commonly known as starches, sugars, saccharides, and sweets and generally end with the letters ose (i.e. glucose, sucrose, fructose, mannose).
- For most organisms, including humans, carbohydrates provide a quick source of energy reflected in the term "sugar high". Hummingbirds rely on the carbohydrates in nectar to maintain a high speed
- During digestion, polysaccharides must be broken down into simple sugars before absorption can take place. Indigestion occurs when when the body cannot convert a polysaccharide into monosaccharides. The
undigested sugar remains in the digestive tract, feeding resident bacteria. In turn, the bacteria grow in numbers and create gas and indigestion.
- For humans, dietary carbohydrates are not essential to life. Ancient peoples thrived on diets of low-carb fare. Sweet foods were often a rarity.
- Body builders often follow a low carbohydrate/high
Per capita consumption of added sugars has risen by 28% since 1983
Heart Disease: caused by infection?
Ulcers: Introducing Helicobacter pylori.
Sugar, Bacteria, and Dental Decay.
Breast Cancer and Sugar
Protein Rich Diets: Lower Risk of Heart Disease.
- Proteins are chains of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds. They are complex molecules that fold into flexible, yet stable, structures. Most proteins will become unfolded (or denatured) when when
subjected to extreme conditions (i.e. heat or chemicals) and become "deactivated".
- Proteins are the major constituent of life as we know it.If one views DNA as a vessel of knowledge, then proteins would be the expression of these ideas.
If DNA were Pandora's box, then proteins would be the
emotions that escape.
- Enzymes are special proteins that catalyze the chemical reactions necessary for life.
- Dietary protein is required for life. Protein defiencies can result in illnesses like kwashiorkor.
- For Thought:
Most proteins contain at least one of the common "twenty" amino acids. If one of these amino acids is lacking, from a deficiency or otherwise, either the protein will not be made or the primary sequence will be compromised with a substitue amino acid. Substitions can lead to unforeseen changes in the protein's structure or function.
High Protein Diet: does not cause calcium loss.
Low Protein Diet: Does Not Protect Kidneys.
USDA Composition of common protein sources:
©2001 The Healing Crow, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Please direct site commentary or questions to: email@example.com
The Healing Crow is a nonprofit corporation. Information
published by The Healing Crow is intended to expand the knowledge of the reader about health issues. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, or replace medical care. Our mission is to educate the public about chronic
illnesses and corresponding non-drug related treatments. We encourage others to critically examine all avenues of information pertaining to health including: naturopaths, chiropractors, physicians, medical and
scientific papers, and others; in order to make an informed decision. We believe a patient has the right to question a health source without taking any medical advice on faith. The best patient is an informed one.
Before instituting a major change in diet or nutrition please consult a worthy expert in nutrition or a doctor. Although we believe our information to be as accurate as possible, discrepancies may arise. If you have a
personal story and would like to include your testimonial on our site, please email us at the link above.